APU Wk 6 Electromagnetic Spectrum Remote Sensing & Orbits Questions.
In about 200 words for each question answer the following:
- How do we learn about objects of interest to intelligence through matter/energy interaction: emission, reflection, refraction, and absorption?
- Describe resolution, discuss how this applies to intelligence, and define the principle measures of resolution used to analyze and evaluate collected information.
- Describe the four types of satellite orbits and identify what types of collection are principally done from each orbit type.
- How does synthetic aperture radar work and what advantages does it have over optical imagery?
- Describe the three major branches of ELINT. Provide one real-life example (dates/places) of each–do your research!
Please use the assigned course readings. To earn points you MUST demonstrate that you’ve read and comprehended the content of the material linked below!
IN ADDITION, DO NOT USE QUOTES IN ANY OF YOUR ANSWERS
Remote Sensing, Resolution, How we learn about objects
Youtube technical https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUG5ALki-WY
Remote Sensing Fundamentals
GEOINT Basic Doctrine (includes a discussion of imagery collection)
Principles of Remote Sensing book: http://www.itc.nl/library/papers_2009/general/PrinciplesRemoteSensing.pdf
SAR article: Introduction to SAR
Youtube primer, Synthetic Aperture Radar: Of Bats and Flying Pianos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YICKbcC-A
NSA brochure: https://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic-heritage/historical-figures-publications/publications/misc/assets/files/elint.pdf