GOVT 2306 Dallas College North Lake Campus Pandemic Voting Questions.
- Explain the origin and development of the Texas constitution.
- Describe state and local political systems and their relationship with the federal government.
- Describe separation of powers and checks and balances in both theory and practice in Texas.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of Texas government.
- Evaluate the role of public opinion, interest groups, and political parties in Texas.
- Analyze the state and local election process.
- Identify the rights and responsibilities of citizens.
- Analyze issues, policies and political culture of Texas.
1.) What are the rules in Texas regarding mail-in ballots (pre-COVID)?
2.) In the CNN article, what did the judge decide regarding the current election laws? How might this impact the upcoming elections? What is the argument provided by Governor Abbott and others who disagree with the temporary injunction? Which do you agree with?
3.) As the current lawsuit looms, what is the role politics is taking on with regards to our health? What does the Democratic Party gain if mail-in ballots become easier to obtain? What does the Republic Party gain in keeping the laws as is?
4.) What are the Democrats hoping will happen, based on the Texas Tribune article? What moves were recently made by the Supreme Court with regards to expanding voting by mail?
5.) Overall, what are your thoughts, as a voter or potential voter, about this very controversial topic?