Union County College Misleading Graphs Reading Proficiency Discussion.
Initial Post Instructions
After exploring different types of graphs this week, it is unfortunate to learn that there are sometimes misleading graphs used in the news, politics, medicine, etc. in order to sway a decision or belief. Some items to watch out for in graphs are—
- Is there a title that explains what the graph is displaying?
- Are numbers on the axis spaced out proportionally or have they been varied to create a dramatic impression?
- Is the graph too loud? Does it have too many components that it distracts from content?
- Are there sources cited to know where the data came from?
Use the internet to find a misleading graph. Key Terms to Search: Misleading Graphs
- Provide a screenshot of the graph
- Cite the Source
- Explain why the graph is misleading